Origins and varieties of diamonds:
The diamond is the birthstone for April babies. King of all gemstones, it is the hardest stone on earth. Its name comes from the ancient Greek 'Adamas' meaning indestructible, pure and inalterable. Although white (transparent) is the most common and well known colour for diamonds, the gem also exists in a variety of hues including yellow, champagne, pink, blue, green, cognac, chocolate and even black.
Information, legends and virtues about diamonds:
- In the XVIIth and XVIIIth centuries, most diamonds came from India. Later on they were also found in Brasil and today the chief world source is Africa (Botswana, Namibia, Congo, South Africa). Russia, Canada and Australia are also important producers.
- The diamond is the hardest known stone on earth and is used as the reference point for the Mohs hardness scale with a score of 10. Diamonds are also used for a number of industrial applications; cutting, grinding and polishing...
- The value of a diamond is a combination of 4 criteria: colour, clarity, cut and carat weight.
- Diamonds can be treated (high-temperature /high-pressure) to enhance their colour and clarity.
- Diamonds are a symbol of eternel love and invincibility.
In the 1953 film "Gentlemen prefer Blondes" by Howard Hawks, Marilyn Monroe sings "Diamonds are a girls best friend" which was later revisited by Nicole Kidman in "Moulin rouge" by Baz Lyhrmann.
- Diamonds are traditionnally gifts for 10th and 60th wedding anniversaries.
- Diamonds are revered as a talisman to fend off fear, negative influence and the evil eye. In lithotherapy and according to certain traditional forms of medecine, diamonds are believed to strengthen energy and help cure its wearer.
- Coloured diamonds are very much in the spotlight, thanks not only to Hollywood stars flaunting them on the red carpet (Lady Gaga arrived at the Oscars in February 2019 wearing a magnificent necklace set with the famous yellow Tiffany's diamond) but also thanks to the record breaking prices achieved at auction these last few years – the oval ‘Pink Star’ diamond weighing in at 59.6 carats sold for 71 Million US$ in 2017 and the fabulous emerald cut ‘l’Oppenheimer blue’, 14.6 carat diamond for 50.6 Million US$ a year earlier.
Which metal for setting diamonds:
With their neutral white colour and their amazing shine, diamonds will look stunning on any precious metal.
Related products available on our website:
Collection of finished jewellery – Gold and diamond
In our last 9 and 18ct Gold jewellery collection, Laval brings you a range of jewellery set with HSI and HP1 certified diamonds. For engagements, why not suggest a diamond three stone ring, with its three diamonds representing the past, the present and the future. Also, discover our romantic selection of heart shaped pendants set with diamonds. Browse our range of 18ct gold and diamond jewellery.
And for your own jewellery creations:
The SWAROVSKI® Zirconia represent the best imitation of diamonds in terms of sparkle. We bring them to you in small quantities and in the most popular traditional diamond cuts: round, octogon, pear, oval and marquise. SWAROVSKI® Zirconia are guaranteed extremely high quality stones, we allow you buy as little as 5 stones per order!
SWAROVSKI® Topaz: With less dazzle than a diamond, a well cut Topaz will look very attractive on a gold mount. As Authorised distributor for SWAROVSKI GEMSTONES, we also sell their topazes that comply to the strictest market conditions. Unlike Cubic Zirconia, the Topaz is a genuine gemstone and Laval allows you to buy them individually.
Don't forget the Laval collection of mounts, fittings and findings.
Looking after diamond jewellery:
- Hagerty® has developped a range of care products for precious jewellery - gold, platinum, diamonds, sapphires and rubies. Available in the form of polishing cloths 'Jewel Cloth' or in pots 'Jewel Clean'.
- Jolibijoux makes biodegradable jewellery care products, with zero amoniac, zero enzymes and no preservatives. To clean diamond jewellery choose either the lotion or the polishing cloth.
Ear piercing: a great method for creating a special customer relationship and attracting further jewellery purchases post piercing.
- Caflon® ear piercing products: a large variety of sparkling white piercing studs are available: bezel setting, claw setting, sold in packs of 12 (different colours for each month of the year) or indivually. Make your selection!